Monday, July 21, 2008

The Last of the Mohicans

Taking a break from my hectic day, I will give myself a quick breather in the form of a quick post, a slight and indeed now rare indulgence. Time affords no such luxuries nowadays, although, to be fair, it could be attained if I sacrificed some other aspects of my life, which I am wont to do.

There was a period of time in my college days when I was heavily invested in the American Red Indian; his culture, his habits, his habitat, his ways, his looks, his warrior image, and, their vaunted wisdoms. I bought posters of Red Indians, played with my “pencils”, drawing up magnificent landscapes for my various tribal factions of pencils to fight in, amidst rivers, streams, valleys, mountains and forests. I became infatuated with the North American bald eagle, one of their emblems, and was in awe of their mastery of the forests.

But what first fuelled such an interest, one might ask, in a boy born and bred in modern day KL?

It all started from a soundtrack! Yes you go that right. I heard the OST to the Last of the Mohicans from Darr, borrowed it, and as I sat in his living room (as a high school kid), both of us shoulder to shoulder head leaning back, the very music conjured up images in my mind, fancies that were built entirely on my own imagination mingled and fuelled by that OST. After that, I just had to get the movie. And I have since watched it several times.

Let me first state here that one of the best movies I have EVER watched, is the “Last of the Mohicans”, starring Daniel Day Lewis. Even though he was one of the heroes, the movie was definitely enhanced by the superb effects, wardrobe and acting of those who acted as the Red Indians, mainly Magua, Incas and Chingachgook. It really helped that these 3 men really did look like Indians themselves (and after research, I found out that they really had Red lineage).

The acting was superb and first class. The wardrobe of the whole ensemble cast, down to the last Red Indian and British soldier, fed the imagination and lent an air of real credence to the scenes, making them believable. The scenery really took your breath away. There is a part where one of the scouts says they do not need Bibles to believe or validate the existence of God; the hidden hand of God is in all of creation for us to see, and the only evidence that one who spends his time out amidst nature needs, is nature itself. Agreed!

The actors looked like Indians themselves, drawing us into the plot deeply until we forget that we are watching a film. I admired the stature and the physiques of the Reds, sinewy, lean and athletic, running through the forests silently, tracking, scouting, leaving trails, following routes, hunting, fishing, experts with the tomahawk and with the knife, their way of fighting and hunting, their knowledge of the wind, the sun and the natural elements. They scouted and tracked by feeling the direction of the wind on their cheeks, the light of the sun on a tree bark, the effects of an echo. I was fascinated by the reading of signs of routes taken, the meaning of a twig at a certain angle of another twig, etc.

The OST to the movie is definitely one of the top 3 OSTs ever to grace the big screen, or, for that matter, the small screen. The promontory, the elk chase, the pipes, “I will find you”, and the fitting accompaniment to the movie scenes played by the music, at once enhancing and elevating the movie and the emotions they stirred. The various subplots (no spoilers here), and “I will find you” coming in at the exact correct timing, the build up to the climatic finale, which the hype of the OST built up to, was not let down and was delivered by the movie.

Currently I am, for the first time, reading the original and unabridged version of the story written by James Fennimore Cooper. I recommend you to watch the movie before you read the book. Michael Mann has really brought the movie to life, and enhanced it. It’s the best movie you’ve never seen, if you haven’t. You’ve got to see it. The cinematography itself is worth the price of a DVD (you cheap wretches).

For those of you who have not seen the movie, please exercise some discipline and stop here and go and get it. Spoilers lie ahead. For those who already have seen the movie, check this out, which features the second best scene in the whole movie, bound to evoke some memories and emotions and a very apt build up to the finale. When DDL goes “UNCAS!!!!”, you can really hear the emotion in his voice. To appreciate the whole scene, you need to watch the film in its entirety, but since you’ve already watched it before, let this serve once again to remind you why this is one of the top movies you have ever watched. One last point, before I let you to the scene itself. There is romance, romantic scenes, and there is ROMANCE, ROMANTIC scenes, like this one. This is the sort of lovemaking scene (eluded to very briefly in this clip, but very gripping in the movie) and experience that I sought after! If I was a single lad of 22 years old now, ok, after this, I would cast aside my corporate life and go and live in the wild, awaiting the day I rescue a damsel in distress and fall in love with her and then we do what alice and uncas did amidst the waterfalls. Ok go enjoy.






And after you see that link, you definitely would want more, and this is the best part, the finale, together with the climax, the fitting theme song building up the hype. When DDL goes “UNCAS!!!!”, you can really hear the emotion in his voice.

And now, I must slowly dial myself down from this emotional pedestal I have worked myself into, and get back to work. And reality.

New objective in life to add to current list: visit Native Indian heritage and historical sites in America.


No comments: