Monday, March 03, 2008

"Noble" professions...

*Sparked by JB's teachers are noble [agreed.] post*

When I was a really little boy, I was really cute. No, that’s not what I was meaning to say, although that sentence IS true. What I meant to say was, when I was a little boy, I wanted to be a policeman, and a soldier. I thought it was cool and fun and I got to play with guns and hide behind walls with my gun ready to fire, I got to shoot people and arrest bad people, and I got to search people. I would have smart shiny uniforms and wear a cool cap and flash a badge. And then I wanted to be a taxi driver because I thought playing with manual gears for cars was a very cool action. Then, due also to my mother’s preference, I wanted to be a doctor. She is from the generation that highly respects doctors, so she wanted her son to be in a respectable and reputable profession. However, 1 additional thing we both shared was that we both wanted me to be a good doctor. My dad died because of a doctor’s lack of professionalism. We both wanted me to be the type of doctor who would never cause widows and fatherless families.

I am sure there are lawyers who start off wanting to use their knowledge of the law to do good deeds, to fight for the poor and downtrodden, the ones who have been victims of injustice, to be a champion for the rights of the repressed. We all have something in common; we started off wanting to be a member of a profession with a long and distinguished history, to do good deeds for society.

Along the way, unfortunately, some people become sidetracked. The policeman realizes how being corrupt can suddenly increase his income exponentially. The doctor realizes how being unethical can give him a healthy side income. Undeclared, of course. And the lawyer realizes how he can sell his conscience to the highest bidder. So along the way the greed of man will over come and over ride the original noble intentions.

There are also those who started off only being after the money in the first place.

No comments: