Thursday, January 03, 2008

High Jumper

Calvin once told Susie that he was happier and luckier than her for getting a C in his test scores, even though she got an A. His rationale was that he found life much easier the lower he kept everyone’s expectations.

That is quite smart. As Jo told me, undersell, over deliver. Well, at work, each time I meet an expectation, they raise the bar. I’ve never felt unconfident facing the challenges, always thought I could get it done. This time around, I am facing the biggest challenge, which also could very likely be a fine feather in my cap in terms of my career. If I decide to stay on in this line, this would really be a fine achievement. And I do look forward to the challenge. But really…it is a little tiring always stretching to reach the bar that ever rises.

At any rate, I am going to set certain personal standards for myself for the year. I will not set the bar low or high. I merely will set it at a reasonable target so I am not deluding myself when I say it, and at the same time, it is also what I want to be. It is high time that I start setting down some baselines for myself.

I want to:

- Go back to being the simple, straight thinking guy I’ve always been.
- Impose certain disciplinary standards on myself such as regularly exercising, eating breakfast, etc.
- Be a good reliable trustworthy colleague as well that generates confidence in superiors.

OK, that’s just to start off with. Gotta run, continue this post later…

No comments: