Monday, January 14, 2008

Working Abroad

Since I made the decision to work in another country, the only questions remaining are:

- what job/industry
- what company
- when do i go.

I realize timing is everything. And luck. Well, if looking for a job, there is no better time than now. Let me give you a hint. Bonus time. After everyone picks it up, they resign! For greener pastures. This is the time where opportunities abound. Although my company hands em out in April or March (trying to keep on to its key people, smart smart), others are handing it out right about...now. So, it's time to start writing my CV, update my resume a bit.

Right about now is about the time of the job exodus period. So if I apply now, most likely I will hit a wall, because employers arent desperate enough, and employees arent leaving YET, coz in all likelihood, they need to serve their notice.

Hence, I figure I have 1 month to perfect my CV and cover letters, and do the requisite research, and take another 2 months to go through the process, and perhaps, by then, they will be desperate enough not to wait for the merry go round to stop at their perfect candidate. And thats when I have the best chances.

Hence my thinking is if all goes well, I should be out of here by April/May.

Sydney? Melbourne?

Ahh..

So since I am writing out my CV, I realize, I really should have continuously updated it. Argh, another lesson learnt from previously that I forgot to incorporate. In addition to printing out and pasting all over my work/room my 2008 resolutions, i will also scribble down key lessons learnt as i go along, and review them regularly. its ok for humans to make mistakes, but lets jot em down n avoid the repeated pitfalls.

Came across an interesting article for CV writing, maybe applicable to many of ye lonesome lads.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=1217&SiteId=cbmsnty41217&sc_extcmp=JS_1217_today1&GT1=10785&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=e71aebce918845b1b3119a1761638d64-253608317-VF-4.

I reckon I will either end up back in Supply Chain, starting from scratch in a bank (IT again?), or resuming my piddling professional services career. Well, at 25, and wanting to propose in 080808 and marry on 090909 and have kid one at 101010 and kid 2 at 111111 and kid 3 at 121212, and kid 3 at 131313 (hah got u there! theres no 13th month!), i reckon this is the last jump, better settle in stably, and ... start saving up bigtime.

No comments: