Monday, January 07, 2008

Somewhere in between

* Really bad poem coming up, written as a break from the inexplicable joys of work.

Y'day I said goodbye to my friend
And JBeannie is her blessed name
Friends since we were around ten
Though we're no longer the same

She appeared unexpectedly in my life
Smart, prefect and soft spoken
Soon, we hope, she'll be our Jinn's wife
Hence sorry guys, she's taken

She's been mostly great, sometimes wise
But always a comforting voice
Though sometimes it is very nice
To make her lose her poise

When I erred, shocked and dismayed her
I could see the disappointment too
But I WILL get get my act together
Sure as 1 plus 1 is two

Through times of goodness and times of trouble
She is there by my side
She sees good in me, what, I sometimes marvel
Though I'm sure she's right!

And though I do not say it much
But my heart you've truly touched
So here JBeannie is my silly dumb way
To say what I've got to say!

- - - -

Friends are a great and important thing in one's life. Sometimes their opinions are right, sometimes wrong, sometimes they see what we cannot see, sometimes they tell what we cannot face. But it is always a source of joy and comfort to know that one has real friends.

(Gosh, it is tricky to type in normal prose after thinking poetically and lyrically for the last 15 mins).

She did not mince her words. We've known each other for 10 years or more, and through it all, she has been a supportive friend who has always had only praise for me, mixed in with some occasional brickbats. And when I erred, and dismayed her and in all likelihood disappointed her, I could expect no less than her withdrawal of friendship. But she was a source of strength and joy and comfort and the effect she and her words in private had on me cannot be underestimated.

Of course, she condemned what happened as well and in no way did she side with me. But after knowing me for so long, seeing me make such a mistake, so uncharacteristic of me to behave so, so unbelievable of it, she was able to realize that I really had made a terrible mistake which was killing me inside, and could remain supportive, though it was not her who had to do the forgiving, of course.

It is always not easy to express how grateful you are and how much you appreciate the friendship of someone from the opposite gender. But J and I go way back, so I guess it is much easier to be mushy about these things. It's also another consideration that she is going out with one of my best friends Jinn, and hence we know this is strictly platonic. But just because I act the way I do around others does not mean I don't acknowedge, appreciate and am grateful for her presence.

No comments: