Sunday, October 29, 2006

Weddings

I attended a wedding this evening. It was a colleague's wedding. I genuinely felt happy for him, and even though I wasn't particularly close to him, I felt he wasn't too bad a guy, and decided to turn up to show some support. Not many people from our company turned up, 2 out of 3 tables. Those who RSVPed did not show up. Furthermore, in true M'sian Chinese style, though we arrived at 6 50pm (starting time specified on card was 7pm) the dinner only got off ard 8 45pm due to the late arrivals. Included 2 photos below that retain the participants annonimity.


The walk up the aisle

The obligatory table by table toasting



The wedding itself was not particularly remarkable. There were some goods, and bads. It was not particularly engaging. A good one I went to was the wedding of my friend's sister. Besides the touching powerpoint slides and videos, the groom made a beautiful speech honoring his dad, wife and in laws. It was beautiful and touching to see the son so publicly lauding his dad. Perhaps its the fact that my own dad passed away when I was 5, and I never got to know him, never experienced the joys of having a dad, and would never be able to publicly acknowledge him. To see the groom throwing away so called society-imposed manliness and announcing his deep love for his wife was inspiring. As was thanking his in laws for producing such a wonderful daughter (actually, I long ago already intended to use this line at my own wedding...subject to reappraisal closer to the time to reassess corny/cheese factor). There were some interesting games played, for example, the blindfolded bride had to slap/pinch/knead the asses of several of the bridegroom's bestmen in order to identify the one that belonged to her husband. Likewise, the groom had to feel (molest) the bridesmaids hands to identify which was his wife's.

Regardless. These weddings however did bring back many memories, and raised some questions.

Questions:

1) When & will I find, or know when I have found, that girl who is right for me, who may or may not be perfect, but perfect for me?
2) How the hell will I organize something so grand?

Memories:

My own sister's wedding. Its great to have an older sibling get married...you get to be a supporting star. =) . I felt proud, happy for her, everything... yet a part of me felt really really sad. Its like, your sister is officially moving on with her life, going to have her own issues, her kids, etc. I know she loves us still, but its just a tad sad that she won't be living in the same house. I really do miss her. She was a GREAT, let me repeat, GREAT (most of the time) sister. she was such a great da zie to me AND my friends that ALL my buddies, all 10 of us, turned up in full force to support her. I just want the husband to know, if he EVER upsets her, I will not let him off easy. Its a childish threat, but ain't nobody gonna walk over my loved ones. oh yea..as a result of my deceased dad, I had to stand in and drink for him...also, in case the groom overdrank.. i had to accompany the whole entourage on their table by table toasting so i could drink on his behalf..

cheh...I MISS YOU AND WE LOVE YOU!

My beloved younger sister, mother, cheh1, cheh2, and sourfaced me


A time when strange uncles became stranger The other 2 sisters play bridesmaids.. Pouring the champagne.. Don't know why I have been replaced Almost all the males in my family...obviously, not many of us..and 2 in this pic are female Her new room Her new room

Been told I always have this expression..


Representing man of the house on stage


Sweet..

The family


The extended family


Neat cake..



The cousin who looks like Alex To

And now, 3 years later, I proudly display this photo of my niece:

Sze Ern @ Great Wall

Ahh...when will it be my turn...future wife...please show up!

No comments: