Friday, June 29, 2007

Youth is wasted ... on the young..


Don Henley and his crew (The Eagles) … New York Minute.

Wonderful, wonderful start to the song. Cannot, just cannot, praise it enough. Fills me with the expectation of something good to come. And what comes does not disappoint.

Someone once told me. You know you are old when you start getting regrets.

I’ve always tried to live my life, as much as sensibly possible, ‘in the moment’. I’ve tried to live ‘without regrets’. But somehow that’s so much easier when you’re younger. When I was younger, everything seemed so easy. I knew instantly what I did or did not do would cause regrets later.

But as I look back now, I realize that there ARE regrets. Things I have or hadn’t done that I wish I should have or hadn’t. Of course I don’t blame or fault myself. Based on what I knew back then, I made the best decision possible. The only reason I have regrets now is that from then til now, things changed, and I know more. Without knowing what changes and what I know now, back then, I definitely wouldn’t have done what I realize I would have done now in hindsight with the mileage of experience n wisdom (reka don’t scoff).

I feel slightly robbed of my youth. Driftland said youth is wasted on the young. And u know what? He is bloody right. The young just don’t know how good they got it. What they can still do. You want to have lennon’s hair? Go for it babe. You want piercings? Right on. Want a tatt dude? University life. Where you enjoy some of the perks of being an adult without its associated responsibilities. Everything and anything is possible. A whole world of endless possibilities, everyday exactly the way as you would carve it. Your day your week your month your year your life like a beautiful glorious piece of .. brand new notebook or diary for you to fill any way you want. As I look at the insolent faces of today’s youths, who seem to be everywhere, I wonder if they realize they should be soaking in every goddamn moment of today coz before they know it, they will not be the young ones very long (elvis).

U wanna drop it all and run off somewhere – shant mention where- you can. You don’t think about savings, houses, career, car, health. You just … are. You just… do. Pure selfish hedonistic pleasures.

My shot of youth has come n gone. People older go but alex you’re not even 25!! You make it sound like you’re retiring. Yes I know I sound super dramatic and morose but the truth is, theres lots of things I can still do at 25 but theres also plenty of things that I want to do but that should sensibly only be done from 16-23 and any longer just makes me immature, irresponsible, unsensible and worst still, an old man trying to recapture youth n past glories, and whats more desperate or pathetic then that? A person sacrificing his future by messing up his present in order to re-experience his past. Theres a time and place for everything, and maybe, just maybe, it’s the same here as well.

I guess im just grumpy…let me gripe…look enviously at the youths of today…and then I shall continue to heavy heartedly turn around, look forward, and join the hordes of disgruntled, disillusioned workers, all marching forward to the beat of the capitalism drum, all sacrificing today in the hopes of a better tomorrow.

No comments: