Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Atheist/Free thinker

I’ve been wondering. What is so wrong with being an atheist or free thinker? At the end of the day, what really matters is that we are all good human beings who live life with a good heart and do good deeds and do it sincerely because that is what we want to do. We don’t cheat on our wives because we love them and thus don’t want to cheat on her and hence cause her to feel pain. We love them so much there is no one else better than her anyway. No one can tempt us away from them. We don’t steal because we should not take what is not ours, not because of the fear of God’s wrath. God shouldn’t be a wrathful punishing God. He should be loving and caring. We should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because we fear the retribution of doing the wrong thing. That will not remove the desire to do the wrong thing. We should tackle the source itself i.e. the desire to do the wrong thing.

So when I see people who profess to be members of a religion, and they are not as good human beings as me, I feel quite…I don’t know what the right word is. I really think what is so wrong with being a good atheist/free thinker if it makes me a better human being than one who professes to be members of a particular faith? True, they stamp their feet and make all sorts of preachy declarations and promises in their places of worship but once that is over and they hit the streets as part of society, all that is forgotten.

If I cannot properly adhere to all the teachings of a particular faith, I would never dare to identify myself as a member of that faith. My face skin is not so thick. And when this is pointed out to these people, they go “but we aren’t perfect and we are trying”. What I personally truly feel is that I don’t see much trying. They are not trying or trying hard enough, because they fall for very obvious and simple sins, and when this is pointed out to them, they have all sorts of excuses to explain these things away.

You cannot pick and choose what and when to believe. You got to do it whole heartedly or you’re being disrespectful, you hypocrite.

No comments: