Thursday, September 06, 2007

My coupe

I’ve never been a car type of guy. The last guy in the world talking about horsepower, V6 engines, torque, pickup, max speed, chassis, etc, is me.

Hmm…there is no burning desire, no “heavily torn between” type of emotion. But, there is a slight yearning, a slight longing, not much, just a little bit mind you, but its still there. What am I talking about?

It would be nice wouldn’t it, to drive a sports car? My current car is not very powerful hence has the pickup of a cow and consumes petrol like crazy. If I could just go back to my youthful days, I’d own a sports car, with ultra powerful speakers and a good quality sound system, slightly tinted windows, and sports rims. It would be great fun, cruising at high speed down the freeway, speakers pumping and feeding the adrenaline coursing through my young hormonal charged body. If I wanted to overtake, I can. The driving experience mate, that’s what I’m talking about.

My first choice though would still be a proper steady sedan type of car, something versatile, like a Toyota or Honda. But my second car would definitely be something sporty. I like the Fiat coupe. Oh, I’ve heard many people knock it, claiming this and that. But hey, I’m not a serious car aficionado so it makes no real difference to me. I just like the way it looks. I’m not into heavily modified exteriors, with low bumpers (impractical), Xenon lights (piss others off), high windbreakers (block view) etc. It’s the lifestyle. Better still if it’s a convertible!

As I grow older the allure of the luxury car slowly increases as well. Its beckoning calls louder and louder. Perhaps when I am 35-40, it’d be time to start hunting for one. Come to think of it, it seems like the choice of a guy’s car would reflect his age and character. I guess there are bits of a sporty/flashy guy and a steady/dependable guy in me.

At my age of almost 25, it’d be an unwise investment to be saddled down with paying off a new car, since I still have a car that serves my purposes at the moment. If I really wanted a new car, I’d have to wait until I am older, by when it’d be silly to buy anything but a steady sedan. I’m lucky enough to be offered a new car by the mother, but I believe the wise thing to do is not to take up her offer.

In the meantime, I guess it is not a crime to look longingly at a sports car. I’m just looking.

No comments: