Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Just do, talk less

Part of being a grown up, of growing up and being an adult, is to be responsible and reliable. This not only means taking responsibility for one’s actions, and being responsible with one’s money. My attempts to be reliable and to be seen as reliable, and to give off the trustworthy impression to people that if they need me for something, they can count on that to be delivered, still can be improved. I am not just talking about work wise. In fact, work related deliverables I don’t really have a reliability issue. As it is, I have the reputation for being the one who delivers.

No, I am focussing more on the non work aspects of my life. If I tell someone I will be there at 8 30, I want to be there by 8 30. If I can’t make it, I should not agree to meeting at 8.30. And if I am held up, I want to quickly let the other person know so that he or she can make any required necessary moves.

I think it is really important that people think that you are reliable, trustworthy and keep to your word. The worst thing is if people have no faith in you. Some of my friends make me feel that way about them, and I really would not want to give that impression about me to others.

I know I’ve been talking about such things. I guess I really need to discipline myself, stop talking (or typing) about it, and really get on with it.

No comments: