Tuesday, February 20, 2007

KL: RM800 & and Hi, my name is Tash

[ Listening to... X - Japan: Forever Love ]

I always knew that I would not be working in Malaysia for long given a particular circumstance that I am in. But I thought I had X amount of time here before I had to move away - again. Then, a painful, painful event occurred that removed the urgency and the need to make this decision. However, recently, some events have unfolded completely unexpectedly which are forcing my hand, and I have to make the painful decision to either retain this painful status quo, OR, move - very very soon. But I am reluctant to leave KL so soon, for another land.

Why am I so reluctant to leave? Part of it is the lifestyle I have here. All my friends and family are here. They afford me a certain lifestyle that no matter how much it deviates from what I want, still gives me a great great deal of happiness. If I go to another land, there is no way I can build up such relationships, because we just do not have a sufficiently strong shared history/experiences & time to nurture rships. Theres too many other commitments.

And now, after this weekend, I am reminded with no punches pulled what I will be giving up. P'haps, if I weigh what I am giving it up for, it might be worth it, and I am just being childish. But childish though I might be, I don't care - I like this life.

Take for example last night (Sun night). I was happily doing my stuff at home, when a dear friend who had recently returned from working in S'pore for CNY called me up for a drink. So, he came to my place and out I went into his car, in kampung boy shorts, my Army motif slippers and some T shirt, thinking we are going mamak. As we pulled away from my place, he suddenly told me that our other dear and mutual friend had somehow gotten his hands on some fireworks and was arranging for us all to let it off. So we detoured to Bangsar, and met up with our hero. He opened his car boot and we saw this BIG box in there. We wanted to cut open the box to remove the fireworks which must be stored inside. And our hero said no no, cannot take out wan. The box is sealed - gotta wholesale remove it, plant it on the ground, and light the fuse (2 long strings sticking out the side of the box).

So we thought OK no big deal. So we tried to remove the box from the boot but it was super heavy. It took 3 of us to move the box and even so we couldnt carry it far so we kinda just tossed it over the fence and pulled it to the grass area and waited for our other friends to arrive. Now this playground is where we grew up and spent A SHITLOAD of time playing basketball from 10am to 6pm, back in our high school days. And in the dim yellow lights of the playground, late and quiet at 11pm, it was a nostalgic moment, coming back as grown ups. So we kicked around a fallen coconut and reminisced about old times. 1 of the guys then got very upset because as we were illegally climbing the fence, his expensive (very) shirt that his gf gave him and that he loved v v much got ripped and left a big hole at the back hahaha. Then the crew showed up. We all hid in our hero's car, and the hero lit the fuse. As he was rushing back to the car we heard WHOOOSHH WHOOOOSH WHOOOOSH, the sky turned super bright like some alien invasion, and loud banging sounds and bright vibrant colors rent the still night air. Our hero friend, not particularly athletic, ran like a madman and cleared the 5 feet high fence and the drain like some Olympic hero and raced into the car. Admittedly, the RM800 worth of fireworks, that my friend obtained from the Customs police, was well worth it. It could easily rival any 1 Jan celebrations. Absolutely thrilling.

Then tonight we all went clubbing, and, just like old times, some of us (not me of course, no doubts about it) tried our hands at picking up chicks. Some of us had GUYS approaching us saying that THEIR female friends wanted to get to know us better and so these guys were trying to pull strings. Later we found out that the girls were from Singapore and were down here on hols. So, most of us got lucky...so it was thrilling I guess to share in the whole thing. Add to that the retro songs they were playing, it really felt like high school and college all over again. We were there to celebrate the fact that our friend just graduated from his ACCA today, finally passing everything. He started his ACCA in 1999!!! So its a major cause for a major celebration. We smoked and drank ourselves silly, joked, laughed, sang, danced, and when the club closed, and we headed a fair distance away for some supper, we shouted ourselves hoarse along with the radio, and it was just fucking fantastic. Windows rolled down, fags between fingers, belting out Living on a prayer (Bon Jovi), Tears (X Japan), Endless Rain (X Japan), Hoobastank & even Backstreet Boys and some unknown 80s hits that we miraculously knew the lyrics to etc while speeding and breaking red lights while semi drunk and shouting out windows to random passers by and singing while smiling and looking at our neighbours at traffic lights who responded by staring straight ahead not daring to acknowledge the carload of rowdy drunk noisy music blasting idiots...thats what immature life is all about! Reminded me of the time we got drunk celebrating NY at Bangsar (m.a.n.y. years ago) and were pissing on the main street in front of all the cars [including girls], throwing n smashing beer bottles and even had ppl trying to climb lampposts believing his bed was up there. Hahaha. We felt young and carefree again.

And after dropping off my friends, in the middle of the night, at 4am, I received an SMS and off I went to meet another friend who couldn't sleep and guessed I might be awake (she guessed right) and off we gallivanted again.

Its now 6am, and I don't think I will sleep coz at 6 30am I am fetching mummy to the airport coz she is flying to Perth for my youngest sister's grad.

This is life. This is how I want to spend every single wkend. This is what I will miss when I leave KL. I miss basketball with my team. I miss going for midday drinks at pubs (like today at The Sanctuary, The Curve). I miss fetching friends and friends fetching me. I miss the impromptu and late nights SMS+suppers, I miss going for banana leaf wkend lunches, I miss everything. Youth is wasted on the young, a wise man once said. Elvis said the young ones...shouldn't be afraid to live...coz when tomorrow comes we wont be the young ones anymore...Youth can never be re-obtained no matter what we exchange for it. Once it is gone it is gone. I don't want to live a life of regrets. I want to live a concrete life, with fulfilling memories.

Maybe these overly dramarama emo-ness is caused by this Forever Love song. Gawd, I love this song so bad...after not listening to it for some time...now hearing it again.. I'm more in love with it than ever.

OK, hastalavista baby...laters.

No comments: