Monday, April 02, 2007

Spooky forest

I only dare to type this now in broad daylight.

Yesterday evening, a bunch of us went for a mildly challenging walk up and about a forest/hill.

Nothing wrong with that. Except that we started late, and very soon we found ourselves at a decisional crossroads.

1) We were 25 minutes from the entry point.
2) It was 7 plus and getting dark - fast.
3) Should we turn back, or forge ahead in search of the suspension bridge?

No decision was forthcoming from the group. So I decided to scout ahead and see if I could recce a bit to see how
far away the bridge was. If it was a significant distance ahead, then no. If not too far, then we could push for it. I was constantly thinking of the time required to travel back to our start point, and since we were ill equipped, I was extremely reluctant to run around in darkness, in a forest. After sprinting non stop (or as fast as possible) I came
to and recognized a point in the forest that approximately I remembered from my prev one and only time here to
be about 10 minutes from the bridge.  Deciding that it was already twilight and rapidly getting darker and hence would be wiser to turn back and rejoin the group and get us all to turn around instead of forging ahead to the
bridge, I sprinted back but because it was dark, my imagination took hold and I imagined I was an elf of
Raymond E Feist's Magician's ilk, and sped through the forest (I would like to say fleet footed and swiftly but alas!) as if the Dark Elves were 
after me. After running in this highly fashionable manner for a while, my stupidly imaginative brain imagined a different sort of scenario.

I've heard of people getting lost in forests... getting misled...taking wrong paths...spirits of the forest messing with routes and one's mind..and how people would be lost for days when in fact they were like moving in circles unbeknownst to themselves and were just a short distance away from some familar point. So I became a wee bit scared heh.

It was dark. I was alone. There were foresty and unrecognisable sounds. Twigs were breaking. My mind was running wild. Thus was my state when I saw Kel, standing in front of me suddenly as I turned a corner. My first thought was ok, back with the group! About 2 seconds later I was like.. ok, is this really Kel? Or some spirit creature taking her fantastically beautiful form and messing with me?

Damn! Too many fantasy books interspersed with old wives tales!

This was scary. Kel was wearing white. So was this Kel. If this Kel wasn't, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

So I was wary and kept quiet. Then I saw V n Jo behind Kel, a little bit. The rest of the entourage. Well, this disspelled somewhat the rising voice in me, but I was still wary. Because of the simple fact that from my memory, I thought I had left them a little further away, not at THIS point of the trail. And I had asked em to stay put. So,
I fearfully (a bit) kept quiet, and the 4 of us turned around and walked. My mind feverishly attempted to recognize the trail, make sure this was the right one, I had passed THIS branch..THIS tree...etc etc...didn't want to be led on some lost route to be some sacrificial lamb in some ancient Sino-Druid ceremony. I also kept an eye out on the others, just to see if any of em glided, sprouted excessive hair on the ears, etc etc. Anything extraordinary. And
kept an ear out for my colleagues' voices far away calling for me (since I would by then be gone long) but I also suspected I wouldnt be able to hear them or they me if I really was being misled.

Exciting!

Maybe I was their long lost fairy king.

Contemplated calling Vic's mobile. But the idea that I'd get Vic on the other line, but the Vic in front of me kept walking and isn't even talking on his mobile freaked me out like shit.

So I decided to artifically call for a break. Though I had sprinted for like 15 minutes or whatever, I was not in the least tired but I needed to let my mind think a bit. That was when Vic walked over to me, as I was "resting".

And then he started talking.

I kept quiet.

And he talked about KK and stuff we did there.

And that was a great relief because this is stuff that only the real Vic would know.

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! All's well that ends well, much ado about nothing, indeed!!!

[sorry for the extremely boring buildup and anticlimatic conclusion. i vote for the anticlimatic relief filled conclusion anyday]

at any rate my experience, interesting to me, maybe trivial to others, was much scarier than the ghost movie I watched the other night. The horror element of the movie pales drastically in comparison. No cold sweat whatsoever. Basically it spawned a new element, a new genre - the Asian Japanese horcom. Horror comedy. The show started off promising. Then...hahaha.. it was hoots and laughter all the way. I don't want to throw in spoilers but I reckon the 10 bucks was well worth it. It wasnt scary. But it was SUCH a bad movie, SO full of stupid things (and the best part is I don't think the funny stuff was intentional at all. The producers actually thought this might work, might scare the living daylights out of the audience hahaha) that it was extremely entertaining to watch.
Everyone in the cinema was laughing their butts off..seriously, as a serious producer of a horror movie, I think its
the last reaction you'd want your audience to have.

Anyway..it was an unbelievably bad movie, but you should watch it anyway because its so fucking entertaining and hilarious hahaha gawd. The woman in front of me laughed so loud and gregariously that her ample bosom was heaving spectacularly throughout the show and I wasnt sure if I was amused by the movie or her ample bosom bouncing gregariously with her heaving guffaws, amazing me with their buoyancy and bounce factor. She laughed until she actually gurgled quite a number of times. And the woman behind me watched the entire thing while wearing sunglasses. Hahaha! I can't take it anymore...halfway through the show, everything, even the people sitting around me, started to make me laugh. What a hoot! Go watch it.  It's called 'The Loft', though I reckon it should be 'The Laugh'. Haha..!

No comments: