Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Uniforms, pride, donkey

Back when I was in still in Melb (hip hip hooray), while awaiting the granting of my PR and seeking
a permanent job, I worked for a couple of months at Subway.

This was the one on Swanston Street, opposite KFC, in Parkville, just outside Unimelb premises.

So, we had to wear our Subway uniforms. Which I could understand, so, fine. Then, one day, the manager came in, and handed us badges. And we had to pin these badges on our shirts. The badges, I cannot remember what the hell
it said, but it was something like oh we will give you good service and this and that yada yada yada. I think.

I forgot exactly.

But the feeling is imprinted in my head. I hated it. I hated it because I felt ... it was derogatory. It was demeaning, insulting, and I had too much pride and integrity for this. Once I wore that badge, I felt like a dog, like
I was wearing a tag, a label, like MY identity ceased to exist, like oh I need this job so bad I will do anything to
keep it. No way, Jose. Too much pride. Ain't gonna allow myself to be in any such situation. After all, I didn't
need the job or the money.

Now before I proceed, 2 disclaimers:

(1) This is just me. I might be totally erroneous in this feeling, so go ahead and blame me. You could say aiya just a badge la dont be so touchy just wear and work la.
(2) If you, dear reader, happen to be in the currently described scenario, let me please remind you of point (1), do not feel offended, and remember it is my misplaced sensitivity.

Ok, continue.

So I hated it. I never wore it regardless of whether the boss was there, and I told myself if they made it an issue, I would quit. 

So, fast forward 2 years, and here I am, working for a major blue chip company. It has many departments, and it
so happens that to build solidarity or perhaps provide a sense of professionalism (I'm not sure why exactly) my
dept subjects its staff to a uniform.

Now in this case, I can accept it, to a certain extent. Saves $ spent on working attire. Problem is that it is ugly. The shirt does not fit well, there is bad cutting, and after wearing it, (no matter what, it is alwiz like 3 sizes too large) everyone seems to look uniformly like penguins or some triangle shaped blob or something with a belly. Its just aesthetically no good due to the size and cutting. The white color (though it reminds me of my cousin's St Johns Brigade uniform) is fine.

However, this dept/company regularly runs these initiatives and campaigns. And SOMETIMES these campaigns and what not require us to wear newly assigned uniforms just for certain days, during the initiative launch or whatever. Now, I have a problem with this. I am starting to get that same sick feeling I used to get in Subway when they wanted us to wear the badges. It is eating at me. And pissing me off.

Do. Not. Ever. Want. To. Feel. Undignified. Do not want to feel a loss of identity. Do not want to feel I am just 
some desperate for his job fool ever willing to make an ass of himself. I've got pride, self respect and an
unhealthy n unproportionate sense of what is and is not insulting. I hope this uniform stuff subsides.

[On the other hand, I am probably reading too much into it, being overly sensitive and touchy but that doesnt stop
me from feeling this]

No comments: