Thursday, August 16, 2007

Shoes glorious shoes

Feet wear, feetgear, shoes. I realize only females, girls, women, ladies, have a fetish with shoes. Guys don't. I've always prided myself on my functionality. Back in Melb, I had probably 3-4 pairs of feetwear - 1 for sports, 1 sandals, 1 sneakers to go out in, and 1 leather one for work. But here in KL, it just hit me that I own about 15 pairs of shoes!!! I picked out a couple (those that were easiest to access and not stored away heh heh) to feature and highlight here. What a womanly and wantonly disgusting habit for a guy. Well, without further ado, here's a sneak peek into the shoe closet of one-who-calls-himself-extremely-un metro/new age. I have absolutely zero regard for the fashion aspect of it and I know I have a crappy sense of one. What determines it is how happy I feel and how appropriate it is when I wear it.


This is 1 of my favourite pairs of shoes. It is made of leather and has a v nice silver buckle in front. When wearing it, I actually feel good, competent, professional, nice, classy etc. Used to be a shoe that I seldom wore (except on v nice occasions), but now, I wear it to work often because I find that the feeling it gives me helps me to perform, especially when dealing with corporate scenery. Probably an unflattering photo. [Windsor Smith, Swanston Street]



This is my other pair of favourite leather shoes. My 2nd pride and joy. When worn with the right clothes and pants, it gives a very nice feel, and I like the way it gives me a finished, polished look. Very elegant, sharp, tapering, long pair of shoes. Love it. The silver buckle in front is a nice touch. [Knight, KL]




I like these flip flop slippers. Got a very nice beach feel to it. Normally worn on holidays or on weekends only, and only during sunny days. Must be paired with beach surfer/board shorts and fitting T shirt (or sleeveless Singha shirt inside and an unbuttoned collared shirt outside), with a bag slung over my shoulder and earphones in my ear. Extreme casual.


Hah! My army camouflage flip flops. Similar to the above, but whereas the above is worn when I am in friendly, congenial mood, this is worn when I feel slightly more solitary, fierce, aggressive, standoffish. Usually paired with my camouflage shorts and a fitting olive green muscle tee.


Ahh...this pair is what my mum calls the lazy man shoes. Its like loafers, but its even lazier than that; you just stick your feet in. Was a b'day present back in 2000 in Melb. Still love it. Perfect for short trips out without much walking required.

Ah ha! My suede sandals! Very well liked but seldom worn. Suede shoes are hard to maintain. Wash em, and they go wrong. Don't wash them, and they dirtify very fast. T'was during a warm sunny summer day back in Melb when I was roaming around Highpoint Shopping Centre when my then shoes fucked up and I purchased this suede sandals.


This is my first pair of leather shoes. Bought cheaply for Aus50 or so, from Target dept store. Required to go to work in. Very lasting and durable. When I came back to KL, I actually went to work in these. Amidst tough environs some more. Theres something to be said for these shoes. They were used when I worked in a restaurant, in Subway, in kitchens, used for job interviews with swanky banks, used in my telemarketing job (which I resigned after 1 day. I hate sales. I hate hard selling. But I absolutely detest cold calling.), used in my EY job, and later, used in my current job back when I was attached to physically demanding environs. Definitely ROI received.


And now this category of shoes is the one where I have the most of. This 1 category alone prolly accounts for 50% of my shoes already. BASKETBALL shoes!!! I have always believed skill is skill, the shoe not so important, except for safety and support. But damn, it's hard to resist a nice pair of balling shoes, y'know?


Mum bought me this pair of Ah Pek sandals. Very versatile, but I seldom wear it except to mamak stalls or late night suppers or when I twisted my ankle and cannot wear shoe (as was the case a few months back).


Sports shoes. Very versatile this kind. But cannot wear with socks. Can wear to go running on the roads, can wear to gym, can wear for bball on outdoor courts (as was the case last night), and can pair it with board shorts, t shirt, and head off for a nice al fresco cuppa on a sunny weekend.


This pair is meant only to go out in. No sports is allowed or I'd damage myself because there is no proper support infrastructure. But for non beach leisure, such as walking around malls, sitting around al fresco, this shoe is perfect, for board shorts, no socks, and a T shirt.


My Reebok DMX shoes, after my icon, Allen Iverson. This shoe started off as being intended to wear exclusively for bball on indoor courts. But due to poor discipline and insufficient bball on indoor courts, and I do like the shoe very much, I decided to wear it when going out as well. Hence it is now a solid staple of my going out shoe, and is no longer a bball shoe.

And this final pair is my safety shoes. Given to me (or rather, I stole it) due to it being a necessity and EHS requirement for some of my work environs, I wear it. When I wear it, I immediately feel very rough house, ruffian, uncouth, uncultured, and I behave in a very neanderthal uncultured unrefined aggressive way. While wearing these shoes, I tend to achieve a lot, but my image suffers. When wearing these shoes, I tend to allow myself to look more and more scruffy. Looks cease to matter.

Hence it is now apparent that I am quite womanly. It is absolutely disgusting. But nevermind, it makes me happy. Next time you see what shoe I wear, you know my mood. Ah ha ha ha.

No comments: