Monday, August 27, 2007

Withdrawal symptoms

Sport is in my blood. Rough, physical, mentally engaging contact sports like basketball. Open sea speed kayaking. Minimum Grade 3 white water rafting and/or solo canoeing. Jungle trekking.

Without sport, Alex will completely cease to exist. I like sports, exercise, because of the mental engagement, the element of thriving in competition, the experience of dominating and defeating an opponent, the challenge of pushing yourself to the limits, the sensation of sweating profusely, the healthy warm glow all round that I feel, the exhausted muscles.

When I get sick, I rather go and play sports then sit at home and rot. And I think I haven’t had sports for a while, haven’t sweated or exerted, and that is why I have been feeling rather out of sorts recently.

We live and die with our fav sports teams. When they win, we are elated. When they lose, we get upset for days on end. When watching the ending of a deadlocked thrilling dramatic finale encounter between the team we root for and our blood enemies, do not interrupt. Nothing is more important at that moment.

Currently the professional basketball season is having its break. I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

No comments: