Thursday, December 06, 2007

Across the universe...

* Attempting to pull myself together, seize ctrl of my life and regain my identity...

- - - - - - - - - -

There was an era in my life (not completely buried, mind you!) where I was totally enraptured and enamoured with previous eras. I wanted to live during the colonial years, I wanted to live during the swinging 60s and the seventies, I wanted to experience the vibrant spirit of those times, with Carpenters, Sinatra, Marley, Hendrix, Morrison, and, how can we forget, the Beatles, who defined, and WERE the 60s, giving the inspiration and spirit to the entire rhythm underlying that era.

Reading Tony Parsons' 'Stories We Could Tell' (which I thoroughly enjoyed), I was seized by this desire to grow out my hair and leave it long and straight, ala John Lennon, and hunt for a pair of orange tinted sunglasses. Alas, working in my environment, that would have got me fired immediately for being a suspected homo.

There was a time when I was totally into the Beatles, and they were among the first artistes whose songs I could play on the guitar. I remember back when I was much younger, wandering around on foot around the park near my house and near Palmerston house in the night, carrying my guitar, and playing Let It Be, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Yesterday, And I Love You So...everything takes on an extra dimension in the dead of the night, with no1 but your guitar (and perhaps ghosts), with the wintry cold adding a touch of atmosphere. There were flights of fancy, whereby I'd be a music writer, get published in Rolling Stones magazine, just like the dude in Almost Famous (which has a kick ass OST).

Watching 'Across the universe' the other day, I was transported back in time into those days, those silly dreams I had...ahh...but I was never one to lust after the free love and free sex.. I was more into the whole atmosphere, the styles, the freedom and bravado to wear whatever, the music, the whole friendly spirit of things. It was a good movie, driven entirely by covers of Beatles hits.. I loved strawberry fields.

Seems like everything is going backwards into the sixties for me these days. There was my company's annual dinner, which would have been nice to throw on one of m uncle's old outfits haha but only if my darling could go with me, otherwise it'd be meaningless and I much rather spend time with her than to not be with her.

If we look at Paul McCartney then, and now, what a world of difference. I think its better to do a Lennon and die whilst you are on top of your game. Unless you can age gracefully, which very few artistes can do.

No comments: