Friday, December 07, 2007

You're still the One

As we go along, we go through experiences, and we pick up lessons along the way. Sometimes, it might just be an observation, sometimes it might be free. At other times, it might cost us. We just hope the price we pay is not too high.

My company’s internal communications website has a new quote on it everyday, some of it very timely and relevant. Today’s one, by Kettering, goes:

You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about yesterday all the time.

I haven’t at all been thinking about ‘yesterday’ the last few months. But I should have stopped thinking about yesterday much longer before that.

There should really be no overlaps for certain things in life.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

There is a cat that jumps around my house and tries to go into my house and plays with my slippers. I’ve seen it play hunting my shoe, and I have seen it crouching and prancing, playing and full of life. Yesterday night as I went to my car to drive out, I saw him lying prone on the ground. So when I went over to it and realized it was dead, I was hit by a wave of shock.

There it was, a day ago, full of life, prancing and jumping, pretending to hunt my shoe. A living entity, breathing, who could feel pain and happiness and hunger, just like me. And now, lying prone on the ground, dead as a bag of nails, all its life snuffed out of it. From a being with Life, God's creation, it is now just a corpse, as ALIVE as your table or chair. It was deeply troubling to see something that one moment I did not appreciate at all and thought was a pest and was full of life, suddenly lie dead on the ground, forever gone from the face of this earth. It was then that I felt a tinge of sadness and that I was actually quite fond of it, or else I’d had done something to discourage its escapades into my house. I wish I had devoted a little bit of affection to it. And a message hit me.

Life is far too short and far too precious to spend moping. And far too short and far too precious to spend regretting. And far too short and far too precious to spend retrospecting, or wanting to turn back time, or undo the damages done and mistakes made. I recognize the mistakes I made, recognize the damage I did. There is nothing I can do now to undo the damage done. But I have learnt to truly appreciate what I have, to love it and to treasure it. All I can do is to behave myself, carry myself in an upright manner, stay true to my principles, and let my character show for itself, and que sera sera. With God's hand, we can make us back to how we were again, perhaps even stronger than ever before, for when partners go through trials and tribulations together, if they emerge together, they emerge stronger together.

I know we just have to stick together, and we can make this work. How many relationships have bowed to outside pressure and both parties decided to let go what could have been, what had promise to be, a splendid thing? Every couple goes through problems initially, of different natures. And in the grand scheme of things, we haven’t been together that long. Forever, til death do us part, IS a long time away.

- - - - -

Don't listen to the naysayers. This is between us. Judge me by my actions and sincerity. We can, we really can make this work. And when we look back, years from now, we'd realize, hey, what a good thing we didn't call if off. What a good thing we stayed together. What a good thing faith is. What a good thing courage is. And we'd laugh this off. And hold each other's hands as we sit on our swing on the patio, and look out at the horizon yonder where the sun is setting...

Here, Shania Twain says it best. My new favourite song.

(When I first saw you, I saw love. And the first time you touched me, I felt love. And after all this time, you're still the one I love.)

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday
They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong
(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night
Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'
I'm so glad we made it Look how far we've come my baby

My fav version, for reasons which are self evident.



Have faith in each other, and put ourselves in God's good hands.

No comments: