Friday, December 15, 2006

Working in Singapore

I'm back! Home sweeeeeeeet home...KL...the sweet scent of air pollution, the stirring sounds generated by countless smog generating buses (that in other countries would have easily failed DOE emissions requirements) and the jams have never seemed so welcomingly enticing! Well ok, I lied, not the jams, hell no, baby.

The week spent working in Singapore was certainly memorable indeed. For I got to talk to many people regarding my future work-in-Singapore plans, especially with regards to the local branch of the MNC I currently slave away for, my options, and got some useful insights. Hey, for a young man, tis never too early to start planning ur career and having some sort of vision! Tis never a folly to have a plan and an ambition, thats wat I say.

Anyway, among the things I found out, is that

1) I hate (ok, just SO not used to) public transport. So inconvenient compared to my accustomed-to-a-car lifestyle. So when I'm there, I got to own a car.
2) Its relatively cheap to BUY a car - but it is a killer to own and maintain one, to the tune of roughly $1200/month.

So...that will be tough. I had to wake up super early, just to spend 1 hour to get to work. And another hour to get home. Wah...

1) Leave home, walk to MRT station approx 15 mins.
2) Take MRT to Jurong East, approx 10 mins.
3) Take MRT to Admiralty, approx 30 mins
4) Take cab to Senoko Loop, 10 mins

To go home...

1) Take cab from Senoko Loop to Admiralty MRT station
2) Take MRT to Jurong Point
3) Take MRT to local station
4) Either take a bus then cross the road n walk home (5 mins) or just take a cab.

Usually I am so knackered I just take the cab.

I also notice that S'poreans put in as much time as work as their M'sian counterparts. V unhealthy. The manager I worked under arrives by 7am, and leaves ard 11 plus to 12 at night. DAILY. WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Another thing I notice...Sporeans hardly talk to their colleagues..they are v serious bout work, and are so focussed on it they just basically ignore you unless there is a business related thing to talk about. Otherwise, u are like invisible. I have learnt that it is nothing personal.

With this work culture and the extensive reliance on public transport, my enthusiasm for working there has been somewhat dampened.

No comments: