Saturday, March 31, 2007

Arrogant Fools

Arrogance. Confidence. Cockiness. Swagger.

I tend to meet a lot of people who are at least reasonably good at what they do, at their jobs.
But, they tend to be arrogant when faced with someone not so familar with their job, or someone who wants to learn
the ropes. Now this annoys me like heck. Why?

Why do you need to be so arrogant? You are only able to be arrogant because this is your area of specialty, this is
your competency, this is what you are hired for. So, dammit, you got to be, you BETTER be good at your job.

You never think, the person who is learning from you, might be king in another department. Just because he is a newbie in yours gives you no right to be arrogant. If we threw you into the dept where he is king, you also would be as helpless as he is now in your department. THEN would
you want him to be arrogant to you?

One thing I don't like is at my job, is that as part of my program, I get rotated to the other departments within my function, and everywhere I go, I have to establish myself, gain credibility, earn respect, win people over, prove myself etc all over again. And when
I finally succeed, and command some power, and I know everything, and feel confident, suddenly I am chucked into another department.

Where I know jackshit and have to start all over again, and get treated like ... like... nothing. I hate always going from king to pauper. Its damn tiring. And dealing with arrogant fools along the way makes things worse. Speaks volumes about your character, regardless of your work ethic and competence level.

No comments: