Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mission: Conquer Mount Kinabalu: Day 2

Day 2 - Mission: Conquer Mount Kinabalu

So here I am, just after starting the trek. This is at the Timpohon Gate area. At this point, it is
super easy, even a baby can do it. Clearly, I am well equipped, in my standard sleeveless shirt
(for better arm movement), lightweight shorts (for better leg movement), a vest (lightweight
warm clothing), and a walking stick. I forgot to wear hiking shoes and ended up in my standard
issue bball/going out sports shoes instead.



And here I am, about to start the gruelling 6km uphill stretch to Laban Rata. I am preparing
myself psychology to 'whack' n challenge the mountain hence my pose. Don't know what our
PMD EE Rablin is doing behind me copying my pose - obviously it din work for him coz he was
struggling to get up there!



And this is the first challenging part of the ascent...some pretty steep steps.



You've got to hand it to the orang asli. The women were lugging heavy, heavy loads, and even
entire gas cylinders, up the steep 6km ascent! I pitied them and gave some of them some of my chocolates. Some of them refused, but some took it and mentioned it was for their kids. I felt so ashamed I then gave away the rest of my chocs. If they can do it without artificial sugar boosts, so should I.



Just to share with you...a view of the trees en route to Laban Rata, which is our midpoint at 6km, our rest zone.



Finally, my not so arduous trek to the top was completed, and it was much easier and faster than I expected. I had mentally geared myself for a tough time wrestling with the mountain. And I came face to face with these famous words...



Being quite overjoyed and bored after waiting for some time since no 1 else was there yet, I then decided to step outside and take some pictures of myself. After all, I don't intend to climb Mount KK again, and in my entire life, this is my one chance to see myself at 24 years old standing near the peak of SEA.



One more, for the road. It is to compare with my before hike photo, but I don't look too taxed yet.



Thats me with a photo I want to be proud of when I am 50.



I had bumped into the MD of the company at the 3km point, and we had proceeded to chat and take photos for each other all the way up. Debating with myself, I
 finally decided 
not to overtake him but to match his pace, and we both reached the top at the same time.
Laban Rata hut (canteen, rest zone, whatever) was empty when I arrived, but after chilling a bit
at the balcony, some of the first stragglers began to arrive.




I wanted to apply the deep heat I brought to prevent my muscles from seizing up...and then I realized
that the tube I brought was empty. Well done, Alex.



The Boss then ordered some warm mushroom soup to share. To further cheer and warm
myself up, I ordered some Sabah tea (wooo) whatever that is. [I discovered it tasted like normal tea.
But then again, that is for an unrefined palate like mine].



Being bored out of my wits, I pretended to be creative.



Obviously I failed miserably. Undaunted, undeterred, and protected by a thick skin, I tried again.



This is when the saying two wrongs make not a right is 100% applicable.

Giving up, I decided to take something more factual:



I wonder what significant technical and engineering feats were accomplished by our locals. Ever.
Seems like everything is done by foreigners.

At any rate, the most interesting thing at Laban Rata was the volleyball friendly facilities:



Like, yea, how did u guess!? I took a flight, suffered a long bus ride, made an arduous-ish hike n trek up a
mountain for 6km, just to play volleyball in 10 degrees weather! What a genius you are!
Stay tuned...tomorrow: Day 3 - The Summit Bid

No comments: