Sunday, May 13, 2007

Falling Into You

Tying in with the previous post...this is a sort of continuation.

[Tribute to C.D.]

People nowadays do not know what are great love songs. There is nothing being churned out on commercial
radio that can beat the 80s and 90s. Nothing. In the 80s and 90s we had Diana Ross, Roxette, Streisand, just to
name but a few. People nowadays attribute love songs to...what, Justin Timber 'show me your boobs Janet' lake?
Or perhaps Lavigne's (who has grown up to become a very fine young lady ahem gosh those thighs) 'Girlfriend'.
Come on. Nothing there.

Romance. That 'something' feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, when your heart leaps and misses a beat.
Some songs, for me, just quite accurately captures that feeling. Of course, we have to remember this is
subjective. It depends quite heavily on:

- who you heard it with
- what you felt when you heard it
- the circumstances

And these are all variables that differ from person to person. But for me, inspite of whatever flak Celine Dion has received from other people, she is still 1 of my all time fav solo artistes. It frustrates me that she is always left
out of convos, even though she has great songs, and one of the top vocal abilities ever. But nvm...my little
secret it shall remain. There are her well known numbers, such as:

- Immortality, her collab with the Bee Gees
- Let's Talk About Love
- I'm your angel, her collav with R Kelly (the paedophile!)
- The Power of Love, better than the original version
- Because You Loved Me
- My Heart Will Go On, infamous, thks to Leo & Kate
- The Prayer, with Bocelli

But who knows of her less well known numbers? I'm not talking about her French songs. Most people manage at 
most a couple of decent love songs. But C.D. is 1 of those people
who can consistently churn out that kind of song, and right here I'm referring to 1 of my all time fav albums,
'Falling Into You'. They make me close my eyes, and transport me to a very dreamy and special place...'
Dreamin
Of You
'...'I Love You'...'I Don't Know'...'If Thats What It Takes'...'Call The Man'...'To Love You More'...'Falling Into You'...'Fly'...

Brings back lots of memories too. Ahh...there was SY, the korean girl whose English was as bad as my korean, and
we had much laughter translating english and korean songs to each other, but ultimately, it was doomed as the
strongest understanding we had was to her mother's korean cooking. Encapsulating love songs aside, its time to 
stop, sigh, shut the book, and step out of the house into the grim world again, and for the moment, switch off
my MediaPlayer, and lock away my treasured emotion teleportation devices, to be used again another time when
the occasion calls for it.

No comments: