Friday, May 04, 2007

Making history now

Oyez Oyez! Hear ye hear ye. A Milestone! A milestone!

Today is, for the first time ever in the history of this blog, the day I updated my blog from the company, and not from home. Wow is that cool or what? Shut up, coz for me it is. I don't have Internet access rights at work coz apparently its not directly necessary for my day to day work (kind of true) so I've alwiz blogged from home or wherever. Anyway to cut a long story short, under the pretext of 'learning his stuff', I hijacked a colleague with Internet rights computer hah.

Oooh this is so cool. I tell u, lazing away on company time surfing the net or whatever can get addictive. But its v guilt inducing, so cannot do for long. Was driving in happily to work and listening to some of the songs in my ancient dust collecting collection aka Shawn Colvin, Marion Raven, Tamara Walker, M2M and Eurothymics.

And now my pea brain is bursting with nostalgia and watnot, so totally not in the mood for work. Grr...You know, people say money can't buy happiness. I disagree. Money can't buy love, can't buy completeness, but money CAN buy security, freedom, satisfy material (and hence many emotional) needs and wants, all of which are crucial subsets and necessities of the happiness equation. It'd be great if we could be financially wealthy enough to have that CHOICE, that option NOT to work or not to do our current jobs. We'd work there, we'd still do stuff, but thats coz of interest, or a need to remain sharp n feel useful, not out of need.

Something popped into my mind. We spend a shitload of hours commuting to and from work. If we drive, we are probably caught in a jam. If we took public transport, we probably spend time switching trains and busses and waiting for our connecting vehicle. Lets say a person spends an average of 1.5 hours a day travelling. Thats roughly 1.5 X 5 X 4 X 12 hours a year which, at this v conservative estimate, equates to 360 hrs a year purely sitting in the car controlling ur bladder and checking out chicks or 360 hours a year waiting at busstops n train stations while checking out chicks n controlling ur temper.

Thats a lot of time. We could do so much more. 360 hours, think about it! Thats 15 days, or 2 weeks of leave. We could listen to music I guess. Thats 360 hours of radio ad time. Some people spend even more time commuting. Hence it stands to reason either they work less hours or in order to maintain the hours, they have less time for self/family. So if I was a national level planner, I'd bloody well make sure I reduce commute time as much as possible and then more, in order to maximize efficiency and reduce the potential social problems caused by people having insufficient time for self/family.

As an aside, I have noticed for a while now, and this has v recently been corrobated by a colleague of mine (who is single & pretty, any suiters out there?) that men who don't work in technicalish jobs (i.e. engineering, the sciences, accounting, finance) are NOT men of few words. These people can most usually be found in Marketing (I have quite a lot of disdain for this discipline, which I shall justify in another post, but in the meantime, brickbats are welcome you low self esteem suckers), HR, some finance, and definitely word heavy/communications/PR/ type of jobs.

These people are just not efficient, and sit around debating this n that, calling for this meeting that meeting and talk talk talk. And simple things also need to call meeting. Why? These guys are a disgrace to my gender. Spoil the good name and rep I've been vigorously contributing to.

OK, its getting to the point where I'm rambling just to avoid going back to work. Its been 15 mins or so. Time to log off. Work hard...try to leave by 7...attend some social events from tonight til Sunday night...Viva la KL! Carpe diem, nail em all, thats what I say!

No comments: