Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Jealousy! Ungh! Be gone you devil!

I am a Scorpio. Hey, someone has to be. We are known to be great lovers, deep thinkers, mysterious solo artistes...the list of accolades go on.

Thank you. You can soften the applause now. Please direct all marriage and relationship solicitations to my email address on the right hand side. But bear in mind everything goes through the gf so unless she is sold on you your chances are quite low. Very sorry.

Anyway, we are apparently uber jealous people. Now, I am highly aware of my jealousy and possessiveness, and strive hard to contain it and hide it and put on a smiley face so as not to make life tough for the girlfriend.

However...there are moments where I have to find out if I am being really unreasonable. If it was, I would strive harder to control myself. So had a chat with some guy friends and presented a hypothetical scenario.
Pls note that this is a hypothetical scenario.

One

Whatever experiences she has had before and you have had before in the past are wiped clean after you get together. Now, assuming she gets to go to some event and some guy asks her for a dance. Now, she has never ever danced with another guy even before you. And now, even after meeting you, her first dance ever is with ANOTHER GUY. So for the rest of her life she walks around with the memory of her first dance and its ANOTHER GUY, and not you, and bear in mind, you are already with her. If I have never kissed a girl before, even on the cheek, and then I get together with say Amy, and then my first ever cheek kiss is with Julia. Not Amy. How would Amy feel? Suspecting that whenever I think of my first ever kiss I automatically recall Julia, though I'd not admit it. And secretly wondering if I preferred Julia's kisses. Would it be ok with her if I said it was just a kiss, a physical act, no emotion attached? I think its fair that Amy would expect me to control myself, since nobody was forcing a gun to my head. I believe in self control, and that circumstances can be circumstances, but one is always in ctrl and no1 can force 1 to do what 1 does not want to do. The conviction in self and the reason why (not upsetting Amy) are strong and compelling reasons enough to reject others and I'd rather hurt others than hurt Amy, who has done so much more for me than the others. At any rate, people worth their salt would not force me to dance with Julia if they knew of Amy.

Is it inappropriate to be unhappy? Whats the proper response? Graciously accept your girlfriend's first act of intimacy is with... another guy? I mean, I know what I would do and how I would respond.
But is it fair to expect others to do likewise? Maybe I should measure others not by my standards...

No comments: