Friday, October 26, 2007

Romancing the ..colleague

Office romances.

I've always had a principle that one should never be dating a colleague. #1 it accelerates everything to saturation point if you sleep together, drive together, live together, eat together, and now, work together. Nobody can be with another person 24/7. Practically the only time you are separated is while asleep (not really since you're lying side by side), or using the toilet. #2 it is awkward for me to have a professional rship with one whom I share my personal life with.

What if there are personal life disputes? How to not let it carry over to work, and vice versa? I set v high and demand similar standards from myself and others ard me. What if either party fails to meet the professional demands of the other? I'd hate for my spouse to think I am incompetent. #3, in the event of a sour ending, how to maintain cordial relationships etc?

Whilst heavily in the midst and thick of several workplace romances swirling around me, I shall amend my principle. It is ok to work in the same company if both are in separate depts and barely see each other. Such as the above 3 conditions are not true, then it is ok. Heck, it is sort of good because we both can talk about the same stuff/people/issues and totally relate to each other, whilst avoiding the above 3 scenarios. And I can fetch her to and from work. Good.

No comments: