Tuesday, October 16, 2007

They were there

When things are less than perfect (which is 100% of the time), or not exactly ideal (more realistic here), I usually handle it alone. I don't exactly run off and talk to my friends about every little thing in my life, nor do I need to 'talk to someone' get it off my chest. Its a source of pride that I can be strong and self reliant. I deal with and settle and confront my issues myself head on. (some people would go so THATS y ur so messed up!).

But during the recent trip to Melb, was engulfed and overwhelmed with various emos. Its not stuff that is wayyy over my head or makes me emotionally weak or needy, and nothing I haven't faced before. I could definitely have handled it alone, but, I tried to close my eyes and lean back into my friends because I've been doing this solo thing so long that I reckoned its high time I appreciated my friends and treat them as friends. And what better way then to lean on them and let them know I am allowing myself to lean on them? Figuratively, I closed my eyes and leaned backwards on them. I expected to be caught.

Not only was I caught, I was wrapped around with concern and love from all sides, propped back up, had my head patted, had myself reassured, and was set right and sent on my way again. During my time of slight need, Darren, Jeannie, Jinn, popped up and stood up to be counted. You guys know wat you did for me.

Darrens powerful smses did wonders, Jinns reassuring presence and words were magic, and Jeannie's words, such as the following, were very uplifting:

we love you too, alex. take care. be good. don't do anything we wouldn't. stay true to yourself my dear, dear friend. it was great seeing you, truly truly truly. and listening to you talk, share memories. it was like nothing had ever changed, all those many years ago when we were still young and impressionable. don't worry that you've done wrong. we all have. you are one of the most blindingly honest people i know. and even after everything you've told me, i still think of you the same way. hope kl is treating you well!

When your friends do things like that, its very touching. Truly, I feel blessed and whatever else might not be going my way, at least, I know I have friends like this. I want to make sure that I am also the type of friend that people will lean on and know I will catch them and more, and that in their times of need, I will be right there.

No comments: