Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Another serious bout...


Listening to - Wendy Matthews - The Day You Went Away - [Highly recommended. Lyrics]


I realize its 2 30am.
I realize I have to wake in 4 hours time to go to work.
I realize I'm bloody immature to be up instead of asleep.

Can you guess what this post will be about? Take a guess...the answer lies IN the picture below..


But I can't sleep.
I did try. Until the playlist suddenly spewed out an all too familar memory inducing song, that got me all nostalgic and emo. And, try as I might, my mood suddenly changed, and now instead of being sleepy, I'm all charged up, nostalgic and reminiscing about Melbourne. Was it really Melbourne, or is it just that Melbourne signified a time in my life where I was still relatively carefree and devoid of the dreariness of working life and all thats associated with it? I remember when I was there and there was a period of time I just wanted to get the hell outta there and come home. As they say, the grass is alwiz greener on the other side. But I think its a combi of both. I do miss Melbourne, a lot, more than I'd ever care to admit.

I miss being on these trams...


I miss seeing these and if I let my imagination run wild, imagining that it was 100 years ago..


I miss. the. parks. Dreadfully. Felt so good to just sit there with a good book and a discman and people watch.

I was genuinely happy to just run around without a care in the world, wearing pink and nobody making any comments about it.


I miss the old buildings and architecture steeped in history...they do a great job there of making good use of their old buildings. The Melb Town Hall...


Flinders St station! The starting point for so many holidays and outstation trips...your dirty toilets and eccentric people are sorely missed. Wonder if the guy with the bagpipes still plays there...And I remember once, when we were waiting for the train to take us to our exam venue (Showgrounds, Flemington) the announcer suddenly said "Ni hao mah?" in thickly accented Chinese..drawing laughter from everyone and relieving the tension.

This is where I once went to watch a play - Anthony & Cleopatra, if I'm not mistaken. Looks different in the day and the night.


Funny how scenes I haven't seen for.. over a year... when seen through a photograph... is like something soo familiar, as if I just was there a few hours ago. It FEELS like home.



Countless afternoons and evenings strolling along the riverfront..



Spoke to an understanding friend about this, who spent some time in the UK and who is also suffering from withdrawal symptoms. According to her, who spent a year there, it takes up to 3 years to recover more or less...to 'sober up'. I was there for..6 whole years...Don't tell me it would take 18 years to get over it?! Gosh...don't know why I keep thinking about those times, the things I did, places I went, life I led. Is it really that the place was SO good, or just how I mentally associated it with the pre proper grown up life? Guess we shall never know shall we? But what I do know is that I have to control these outbursts of emo. Cannot continue to let this stuff start affecting me only at night just before I sleep, throw me completely off track, and result in me being zombified at work. It's time to know when to unlock the drawers of the past, and when to keep it tightly shut in order to concentrate on the now so as not to interfere with our preparations for the future. Must keep the past in the past and not let it affect the now. Its time to grow up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Those places are so familiar..Don't think so much, and sleep earlier! =)

Luv,

'I Miss Melbourne Too'