Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Birthday!




Listening to...Django Reinhardt-Guitares et violons Tziganes - Les yeux noirs




I actually wrote the previous post some time ago but didn't really get round to posting it up until a day or 2 later..

SO!

I am officiallllllllllly 24! As of .. Thursday I said goodbye to 23. Looking back wistfully and longingly at the good ol #23. No running or hiding the fact now or masquerading behind the fact that it's not my birthday yet and the year don't count.

Gosh how FAST time flies.

And, as promised, this IS a continuation of the last post...lets compare my first photos as an officially 24 year old bugger trapped in a 14 year old mind.

Well...supposed to leave work earlier yesterday (Friday) as a reward for my average of 12-13 hours a day this week at work & the fact that its a FlyDay...would have loved to go The Curve and chill at Starbucks and Borders..sitting by the big windows and gazing at people trundling by innocently, oblivious to the fact that someone is watching their idiosyncracies..BUT NOOOO....work again destroyed all plans for a quiet day, and I ended up arriving home at 730 or so. Aish the agonies and angst that can be built up, I tell you...So then later on we went down to Top Hat for dinner. Been there a few times but never with them, so I was glad that most people praised the place. Its always nice when ppl appreciate it when you introduce something new to them.

Looking appropriately polite, instead of my usual animated self

Though our regular gang of Sheilas and Joes has dwindled significantly, the company of those who made the effort to come are in no way lessened. So a big thanks to those who took the trouble to tear themselves away and come out in the drizzly night. The rest who can't make it - those not in KL or tied up - thanks for the SMSes, presents, emails and RT, wat a heck of a soft toy!

My, my, such big eyes...

Jinn .. who has his own fan club..I remember back in high school when younger girls spied on us playing basketball coz they liked seeing him in action...

Don't la try to look innocent..

Thats him in his Cassanova mood..

Compare the above to us in 2004...I maintain he looks like Shannon Noll here.. can imagine him standing on the back of a sheep loading truck belting out "WHAATT ABBOOUT ME!! IT ISN"T FAIR!" while his hands are clenched into fists beside him...

The choc pudding is good la really...

Attested to by their greeeedy faces..

And nowdays, not only do we OPENLY WRITE our greetings in birthday cards, but we OPENLY READ what others wrote as well..whatever happened to the good ol days where we used to have elaborate surprises, treasure hunts, plays huh huh huh

Then, naturally, we adjourned upstairs to Top Room...I was asked by the others about the drinks...and I couldn't answer coz I've only ever had the wine b4 when I came..*shy* [so pretentious right Jo? Aishh...]..


Gina Palisades [surname wrongly spelt]..bassist has shoulders and arms that keep doing the Mexican wave as he plays, and the drummer strikes the right balance and never goes too loud and fast...they usually perform together, seen em a few times, and they really mesh well

I entered GIS in kindergarten, and stayed until I finished high school. Back in those days, we used to go to Jln Kia Peng where my kindergarten school was. It was a bungalow. Then we moved to another place (which has been converted into bungalows..how ironic.) And from memory, the inside and outside and even the driveway looked eeriely similar (from memory). I would swear that Top Hat used to be my kindergarten...coz someone told me that they converted it into many things b4 its latest incarnation as a restaurant. But my mother said "Aiya silly boy, they tore it down yonks ago and its now probably the lobby of some swanky condo lar!".

How sad...

BUT just imagine if it really was! I mean, as a little boy peering down from the top of The Balcony with my friend Bobby both of us pretending to be soldiers clutching our guns (plastic bendy rulers) shooting at other kids whom we hated (we were both deemed psychopathic misfit social outcasts - I think I still might am) as they alighted from their cars. And little did I know then that 20 years later I would be celebrating a b'day there.

Funny how Time works sometimes. U know u read those books n watch those movies and someone like accidentally steps through or walks through something and are transported back to that exact same place but 10 years ago.. and they can see their 10 year ago self doing there what he did, and the 10 year ago self can't see him. Wow...something like that book 'House on the Hill' (Year 7 Lit class) or that Kate & Leopold movie right at the end when Hugh Jackman goes back into that mansion...gives me the goosebumps..


The Balcony


Enough daydreaming....

Until next time...rock on.

No comments: