Friday, November 17, 2006

Music = Time Travel Device




"The Blowers Daughter"

And so it is
Just like you said it would be
Life goes easy on me
Most of the time
And so it is
The shorter story
No love, no glory
No hero in her sky

I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes...

And so it is
Just like you said it should be
We'll both forget the breeze
Most of the time
And so it is
The colder water
The blower's daughter
The pupil in denial

Damien Rice



One of my fav songs...it is from the OST to "Closer" (a brilliant movie, with Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Jude Law)

Isn't it funny how our mood would be THIS one moment, and completely sway over to THAT in just one instant, and all it takes to achieve this dramatic swing, would be a song?

You'd be happily whistling and whatnot and then a certain song, which carries with it certain memories, would start playing, and next thing you know, you are feeling kind of emotional, you don't feel like singing anymore, and your head is flooded with associated memories of a different time and place, and, it is as if you are seeing the actors in your memories like you are watching them on a black and white silent projector all alone in ur dark basement. And it is funny that while the person you are watching being projected (yourself) seems happy and laughing in there, the same person now watching it (you) are feeling sad instead.

Life is funny like that sometimes. Fate likes to play tricks on us.

I was dropping off someone after work today, and was happily going on my way home, when the CD in the car switched tracks...instantly, my cheerfulness vanished, and nostalgia took over, big time. Perhaps it was the combination of the rain pelting down against the window, the darkening sky and the contrast against the headlights of cars caught in the jam in the rain...

There I was, just coming off work, caught in a rain and jam, sitting in the car, but my mind was far away...

Its a combination, I guess, of the lyrics, the music, and most of all, the place/time/person you were with when you first heard that song...

{Note to self: Must..not..be..weak}

No comments: