Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Big Brother - 1984

“Russell…somebody gonna get the hurt…I’m not telling you who…but I think you know him very well.”

A few years back…I think 3 or 4 years ago it was, a friend lent me a disc containing Russell Peters (he recycles his jokes) stand up acts, and of course, his more famous ones.

About half a year ago, I was v excited with the news that he was gracing our shores. A few wks later, I heard his show was cancelled as the govt did not allow him to perform here.

We are in the 21st century. Everyone is trying to open up. We have been an independent country for 50 years. The ruling party has been in power ever since. Yet the Govt remains still so paranoid, ignorant and utterly narrow minded in its insecurity.

I believe insecurity only comes about when one secretly (perhaps in denial even to oneself) suspects what one fears to be true is true. So our Govt perhaps cannot take the prospect of being poked fun of, being fodder in a satirical stand up act, or whatever. I mean, you racist pricks, what gives man? What gives you the moral imperative to decide for me what is good or not for me? For fuck’s sake, fuck off, start to govern, and let us denied masses have our dose of fun.

Watching movies in cinemas with parts dubbed off. Isn’t that infuriating as hell? Way back when, everytime when Rachel leaned in to kiss Ross (if u don’t know what I’m talking about, walk to your kitchen, see that knife rack there? Grab the bluntest one and proceed to stab urself slowly to death u poor wretched bugger u), the scene would stop like when she was still halfway to Ross’ soon to be lucky lips (to some, but not me) the scene would suddenly jump without any smooth splicing or linking and the next moment u’d see something entirely different. Obviously its been censored. HELLO?!!?

I just hate that this stupid rotten government decides it has the right to dictate what is moralled or not for us. Part of this resentment comes from the fact that they shud b doing a better job governing so concentrate on that more, and another part stems from the fact that if they were so moralled, we wouldn’t have so much corruption n watnot.

Which brings me to another point. Seriously, whats the point of hoisting our kids off to moral and ugama lessons, when we all come out twisted as hell anyway? Where are the orderly bus queues? Where are our Ps and Qs? Where is the give up ur seat for the old/pregnant women? We know that we KNOW what is the right thing to do since we all go for these classes (I didn’t…different school, diff edu system, diff syllabus so I have a v good excuse to shove u off the bus or to generally act like a right ragamuffin) so whats stopping us from doing it?

No comments: