Tuesday, July 31, 2007

People, it's always people

Of course, as a manager, a major component is people management. Such skills cannot be taught. It can be learned. But most of all, it is an extension of your personal beliefs.

It was highlighted to me by a boss that

1. Your beliefs shape your principles.
2. Your principles shape your actions.
3. Hence your beliefs shape your actions.

When dealing with people, I have always tried to balance that thin line btween my deliverables and their welfare. If one is sincere, others can feel it. I want to be a humane manager. Yet, I have never been afraid to punish. I do not punish incompetence or accidental mistakes. I do punish repeated mistakes, inability to learn despite training, laziness, irresponsible, selfish, etc. I will not hesitate to sound off or kick a guy out, and I have done so, if he repeats misdemeanors despite warnings.

But I try to be fair. A fair manager will earn his men's respect. I believe in giving them incentives, rewards, and will not hesitate to do that at my own expense. I also have no qualms with praises and well deserved breaks and rests. Am v generous with that if they are not slacking off. Also, if one shows that he has the qualities, and can consistently wow his men by the wisdom of his actions (which they do not see initially but blindly follow his instructions until the reason clicks n suddenly bcomes clear), he has them eating out of his hand.

I have been informed that my confirmation is a foregone conclusion, and upon that, they have already identified a place for me. In this new role, those who report to me, and there are MANY of those, are currently on v good terms with me. I know that when I lord over them, the story will be different.

Already a fellow colleague has confided in me that after her promotion she feels very lonely and sad and life gets lonely up in the ivory tower. Those who used to be considered friends now are a bit cautious as they report to her.

I am unsure of what the future holds. In that role, I know due to the demands, I need to be tough, much much tougher, and learn not to take no as an answer. Hence I know this will jeopardize our rships. But if I am soft, deliverables might not be met. Balance..balance...it's all about the people.

No comments: