Sunday, July 15, 2007

Honda - The power of dreams

I think teleportation would be wayyy coool.

I could very easily imagine teleporting myself all over the place in physical and time dimensions.

If there was a teleportation machine in front of me RIGHT ABOUT NOW, I know what I would do. I would take my money, some clothes, my 12 string guitar, and hop right in.

I know what time zone I want to go to. I'd go back to the 60s and 70s. And I even know precisely where. Why, London, of course! I would then also travel to America. Note I don't go the US. I go America. It sounds more magical that way. I'd show up, step out of my teleportation machine, stash it somewhere safe, grow a beard, have long hair, wear spectacles, wear tight shirts and flare out jeans, and sign up with a music magazine and be a music journalist. I'd go to Woodstock! I would then be one of the proud ones who can then say I was at Woodstock..1969. I saw Hendrix. OMFG. Hendrix! I was there for Joe Cocker. I saw Santana before he was Santana. Black magic woman. Deep Purple.

I would snort lines, say peace man, demonstrate against wars, show up fashionably late for work at my music magazine office, and not get reprimanded coz I get the articles in on time. I would listen be there watching The Doors performing 'The Crystal Ship' live, I'd watch Driftland, I'd watch Robert Plant performing 'Morning Dew'. Theres a song in the movie Almost Famous that sort of encapsulates part of the spirit - Hold Me Closer.

I would be there in the greatest era of music, the greatest era of rock n roll. But I'd still catch Sinatra, still catch the Carpenters, still catch Dean Martin. I would not watch as Billie Holiday spent her last days in B grade pubs...I would be there when Pacino goes "Say hello to my leetel fren" in Scarface just before he fills em up with lead. I would be there when Marlon Brando was still a star, when James Dean epitomized a lifestyle. I would cry when Jimi died, I would cry when Elvis died.

Ahh...and when the 70s rock to an end..I would quickly retrieve my time machine and go to the 80s...and reappear as a young fresh undergrad.

This time I would not be able to witness the tragic end of the 60s and 70s, but get onboard the bandwagon for the 80s..but the real reason I wanna be there..is for the Digital Revolution! I would get enrolled at Berkeley, and get to soak myself in my beloved UNIX systems. Too bad I no longer have the avenue to mess around with it. Back in my Melb Uni days, my fav fav subject was UNIX...shell scripting, bash kernel, LINUX, the whole works.. the names the adjectives, don't they already fill you with trembling excitement? What could bash kernel POSSIBLY mean!? Evrything makes sense, is so logical, you type and CREATE your own commands..what can beat that? Today we are hampered by what the GUI allows us.

Anyway.. yea.. I'd enrol in Berkeley..learn how to tap telecomms wires..how to twist copper wires and get free network access...we'd hack hack hack..hole ourselves up in the room all day listening to Pink Floyd, and compete to see who can hack into what top notch supposedly secure system first..the ultimate adrenaline game.. beating THE system..and when the timing is right..go into Silicon Valley and tada Bingo I'm a millionaire!

No comments: