Monday, July 16, 2007

Story time!

Friends share stories right?

Whatever happened to them during such and such event...When they were at where and where, such and such happened and how it made them feel. When friends can share experiences and stories without restraint, that’s a defining moment of friendship, right?

Of course, this sounds really soppy, and in real life, guys do not talk bout such soppy stuff. We do the same thing as girls (as abovementioned) but the content, the topics are different. Some are designed to impress, but with a good bunch of friends, you just say whatever, with no design to portray any subliminal messages whatsoever.

So, what can be said, and what not? When do we practise self censorship? When is self censorship appropriate (e.g. “I jack off to images of your little sister, mother and pet dog with me in the bath tub”) and when is it really not necessary between 2 close friends (e.g. “Hey, you know, you want anything from Parkson? I kinda won a voucher which erm allows me to buy RMXXX worth of goods and I don’t need anything so if you want, we can go do some shopping.”).

A rule I have: If it serves no purpose to say it and it is purely for self glorification/adulation seeking/ego stroking etc, then don’t say it.

However, sometimes when I share my stories, to me, they might demonstrate a point, e.g. humor, sleazy people I see in clubs, the rather aggressiveness of girls today, wanting to share the spoils of my unexpected/untargeted award win, etc, but, in retrospect, it is very easy for these stories to be misconstrued as avenues through which I am trying to subtlely advertise certain aspects of myself.

When I am with the golden friends, I also don’t talk much, but when I do about such things, I expect not to be judged, and its ok, and they can do likewise. But when I start feeling I’m being judged, that’s when I know, this isn’t gold.

No comments: